Friday, May 20, 2011

Doggy Dad

Drew refers to the dogs as his "sons" or his "boys".
He says he's their dad and I'm their mom... but some times he tells me I'm their grandma. 


I like to remind him that one dog is his, one is mine, and the other is OURS. 


The first chihuahua we got was because he wanted one. So Brady, our tan itty bitty, is all his (except he LOVES to cuddle with Mama).

Then there's my Franklin Joseph Jackson III (or Frankie J.. for short). I found him outside my office one day and fell in love. 

And a few months ago we acquired Rocky (AKA Monster Dog) from an animal shelter. Rocky is OUR dog and is in need of constant attention.....

Drew does great with "his boys" and takes very good care of them. Feeding them is completely his responsibility (unless he's at his dad's) and he rarely has to be reminded to do it. The first thing he does when he gets home from school (or anywhere) is let the dogs in the house. He really does love his "sons".

Last night Drew noticed that Frankie was only walking on 3 legs, and kept one of the back ones lifted. Drew came right in the kitchen and demanded that we take Frankie to the vet NOW. I told Drew he probably just hurt it while playing with the other dogs, and went to take a look at it. Frankie let me touch his leg, foot and hip and never made a sound or tried to move a way. I told Drew he'd be fine, we'd just make sure he took it easy for the night. Mr. Stubborn Doggy Daddy was not satisfied with my diagnoses. He said Tylenol was in order at least for the pain, but not the yucky cherry flavor (the kid does have standards). I agreed he was probably right and gave Frankie some doggy pain reliever (it's red, and I'm pretty sure I smelled cherry....). 

But Drew was still not happy..... shocker, I know.
So he went to his room and got HIS blanket. His baby blanket... that he NEVER shares with anyone (or any dog). 


It appears my son has inherited his mother's over-protectiveness. He took great care of Frankie last night, even making him sleep in HIS bed with him all night. 

I am happy to report that Frankie survived the night and was running around with the other two monsters on all 4 legs this morning. 


1 comment:

  1. My youngest is like that with the cat. When he's not torturing him, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!