Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No Summer For Us

I absolutely LOVE that it is now officially summer... at least according to the calendar. 


The temperatures have FINALLY risen around here, and we're expecting a high of 93 degrees today.


But there is still no summer for our household. 


School is still in session. 


I still work 40 hours a week... 5 days a week. 


And truth is, this is the way it'll be until Little Man graduates high school. 


Because I work full time and we have no nearby family members to care for Drew, he goes to a year round private school. He's there 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year... unless we're sick or have a random vacation day. 


Right now his school is "off track" which means there's no actual school work going on for the next 2 weeks. But their still open all day and the kids are kept busy with structured learning activities. 


Technically their school year doesn't even END until August 12th (at which point he'll have 3 weeks off track before the next school year begins).


Because I was raised having a traditional summer (for the most part), this is a little tough for me. I feel awful that my kid is stuck at school all day while other kids are at the beach or even at home playing video games. He doesn't get a long break... ever. 


We're planning a little vacation for 3 days in August... but that's about all he gets. I have more vacation time available through work, but I like to keep some of it for the inevitable sick days or personal emergencies that are bound to occur. 


It's times like this that I really wish I could change things. I wish so badly that I didn't have to work full time and that I was available more to be a MOM... so that Drew could have more free time to be a KID.

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with this ALL THE TIME.

    I also had the traditional school year, and Mom was home. My kids go to camp, 5 days a week, all summer long and every vacation.

    I would love for them to have the break, but in reality, it's probably better not to when they are little. Real life doesn't get a break, the bills never take a hiatus.

    And if he does in fact feel he needs one someday, in six years he'll be old enough to stay home for his three week off track...

    ...and prob. be bored out of his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our kids have the traditional school schedule, but i almost wish we had the track schedule! but don't worry, i bet he's still having fun :) and that vacation is going to be extra special!! hang in there mama, you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!