Friday, February 19, 2010

Cleaning Weekend

Cleaning weekend has officially arrived...
Mom is on her way to my house as we speak... 

But this is no ordinary cleaning weekend...
This isn't simply laundry, sweeping, and dishes...



This is "Literally empty EVERYTHING out of the house, clean from top to bottom, and then put only the necessary stuff back" weekend.... 

I am not a fan of cleaning AT ALL.. not a little bit, not sometimes, not kinda-sorta... NOT AT ALL!!
But, this is also the present I asked my mom for for Christmas. 

See our little house has a story behind it, a few actually, but that's for another post... 
My house sits on my grandparents property, and is one of 8 houses that they own... they literally own the first 8 houses on our street.. it's kinda weird when I think about it like that, but it's been that way since before I was born, so I'm used to it. And Drew and I are lucky enough to rent our little 2 bedroom house from them and live right next door to my grandparents... 

Well before I moved in, my sister and her husband (at the time) lived there with my little nephew Justin. And before them, my mom rented the house. 

Ya.. I know.. 

Well when my mom first moved out, she was moving into a home that her then fiance owned and that house was already completely furnished, so my mom basically just packed up her clothes and a few extras and moved out... 
Leaving my sister to move into a pretty much fully furnished (towels, dishes, magazines, furniture.. the whole deal) house. Which was great for her since all she had to bring along were her clothes and my nephews stuff. 

Then in September of 2003 I moved into the house with my sister and her family (again, a whole different post)... and in October I gave birth to Drew... so now there were 5 of us living there.. more than a little cramped. 

Well my sister decided that marriage of hers just wasn't working for her so she ended that and sent her husband packing (YAY!!!)... and along came husband #2 (and father to my 2nd nephew). Once she found out she was pregnant with my 2nd nephew, she decided it was time to move out (since I was showing NO sign of getting my stuff together and getting out... hey, I was happy, Drew was happy, why  should I go anywhere?.. ya ya... I know... )...
 So my sister goes to move into her future husbands house and since his house is already fully furnished, once again everything except the clothes and my nephews stuff, got left behind. 

So in February 2005, I received a fully furnished house to rent…
Just Drew and I in our cozy little house…

Seriously, all that I brought into that house were my clothes and a few boxes of old stuff I wanted to keep, and of course everything that Drew owns has been purchased while living there.

Now, 5 years later, it’s time to clear out the old….. clean it up a bit (there’s actually a major remodel scheduled for my house this summer)… and try to avoid buying anymore new stuff that we really don’t need….
My new motto really should be “Save, Don’t Spend”… I highly doubt that will ever happen, but it’s worth a shot.

My mom comes into town this afternoon, and we will be tackling this huge project together. My mom is a professional cleaner and organizer by nature. I swear there is probably Pine-Sol and storage bins in her blood.

I hope you all enjoy a nice and relaxing weekend with your families…
While I spend mine sneezing from dust and sweating from emptying the never ending closet… all while trying not to miss my little monster too much…

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!!