Monday, November 8, 2010

Doing it MY way

Every single person is different in so so many ways. Every mother parents their child differently than the next... even differently than their own mother.. and their own sister. 


Every woman dates differently... if she even dates at all. People marry (or refuse to marry) for their own individual reasons. Everyone's likes and dislikes are unique... 


While I am very aware of these previous statements, it seems to be a daily (if not multiple times a day) thing for someone to question the choices I make in MY life. So I just kinda need to vent a minute and state a few of reasons for the most "questionable" choices I've made. 




1. I have ZERO desire to ever be married. This increased even more so after I had Drew, but ever since I can remember, there has never been a husband in my future plans. It's just not my thing... I have no desire to take the bad with the good.. I want good ALL the time... I'm pretty positive I'm allergic to compromise.. I get bored VERY easily (and this applies to most people that try to make a permanent spot in my life).. and my son is my ENTIRE world, there's just not room for anyone else in our lives.


2. Going along with number 1, I don't date. Ever. I think dating is done to get to know potential mates... partners.. husbands... and since I don't want one of those, what the heck do I need to date for? I have friends and we hang out, we can go to dinner, the beach, a movie, Target... whatever... and there's never any "US" talk... the only US in my life is Drew and I. 


3. My 7 year old does not play at his friends houses unless I'm there with him.... his friends do not come over to play at our house unless their mom stays too. This is just the way our friends and I have always done it. No, I do not trust others with my son very easily (or even at all). Things were different when I was growing up and my sister and I would wonder from house to house and just come home when it got dark out.... but things have CHANGED... and I am not my mother... I am Drew's mom. 


4. I do not, have not, and will not consume alcohol in the presence of my child, or if I will be seeing him any time that day after taking a drink. There are a bunch or reasons for this, but really it just comes down to Drew's safety, best interest and general responsibility on my part. Alcohol isn't a necessity in my life... or rarely even a desire. 


5. There isn't anything I can't do myself. I can change a tire on my car, sit in the ER for 7 hours with a sick kid and never leave his side, change the light bulbs in the ceiling fan and do my taxes. Being dependent on ANYONE for anything just isn't my thing. I'm actual terrified of ever getting to that point in life. 


6. Drew sleeps in my bed with me. Every single night. He's happy that way and so am I. He has his own room and his own bed and it'll be there for him whenever HE'S ready. 


7. I will not ask you how your weekend was, or how you're feeling unless I GENUINELY care. I'm not one for small talk at all. Unless I actually WANT to know, I'm not asking you anything. And I prefer when people do the same with me. I'd much rather sit in silence then have fake conversation about something I'm not even the slightest bit interested in. 




I think that's enough for now. 


It's our differences that make us unique. I'll be the first to admit that I'll never understand some choices people make... and I'm VERY quick to judge EVERYONE.... so I can understand when others do the same with me. 


But as long as I'm happy and Drew's happy.... that's all that matters in my book. 

3 comments:

  1. Obviously you're a very dedicated mother :-) Drew is a very lucky little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, everyone parents their own way and their own style. That doesn't mean that one way is right and the other is wrong.

    I think you have to change your parenting style as your child grows and matures. I am (trying)to raise and parent a teenager...God help me! And it is very trial & error...if one way doesn't work then we rethink & regroup. There is no "text book way" and we are all going to make mistakes and learn along the way.

    Yay for you for sticking up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every child is different and family for that matter. All you can do is the best you can do! Don't let people second guess you or question your choices. I think your doing an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!