Monday, April 11, 2011

Beat By The Bunny... Twice

A couple weeks ago while at a new bakery in town, I came across a bunny. 


But not just any bunny.... 


A bunny made of BREAD... I just so happen to be a lover of all things carb... 

Isn't he adorable?!?!?

So after seeing Mr. Adorable... I did what I always do when I see something cute that comes with a ridiculously high price tag.... I googled the recipe to make my own.

I came across this little gem online and figured I'd give it a try.

Attempt #1:
Saturday morning I started bright and early since I knew this sucker would need to rise for awhile. The first problem I ran into was my lack of honey... I didn't read the recipe thoroughly because I failed to buy honey at the store. So I just left it out... figured it wouldn't make too much of a difference anyway. And this was just going to be the practice bunny. I had plans to make more for Easter. Second problem came about an hour after my dough had been left to rise. It was flat... didn't rise AT ALL. This one had me stumped for a bit... till I read the back of the yeast package. Apparently yeast that expires in August 2010 won't work in April 2011.... Ewwww... yuck! Can't believe I even still had that yeast.. let alone used it.

Attempt #2:
That night I tried again... and I even had the honey.. and some brand new good-until-2013 yeast. Mixed every thing accordingly... and then stuck it in the oven to rise. See it was cold at our house and we were going in and out from playing outside so I didn't want to turn the heater on. I decided to just warm up the oven, turn it off, then stick the dough in there to rise. About a half an hour into the rising process, I turned the oven on again, very low, just to make sure it stayed warm in there so my bread would rise. Well, apparently I didn't turn it off soon enough.. or it was just on too high period... or letting your dough rise in the oven is just a bad idea.. Because after the hour of waiting, my dough had slightly risen... but had also started cooking in the metal bowl it was in. 

I am not a YEAST girl. Not one bit. 

I fully admit that every bread I make is yeast-less. 

This was a bread & bunny failure... and my poor little Drew was so disappointed. But he cheered right up when I promised to take him back to the bakery and order an over-priced bunny just for him.

Yeast - 2     Me -0




3 comments:

  1. You need the sugar/honey to set off the yeast and yeah, the expiration date is a little off. I have used old yeast before, but I keep the jar in the fridge so that might have something to do with it.

    Next time your house is a little chilly just turn the oven on to 250 and leave it on. Then put the bowl on top of the stove, covered with a towel and it should be warm enough there. We made beignets yesterday and had the same thing going on - back door open, cool in the house. etc.

    Two other things that can kill yeast is if your liquid is too hot and over kneading. Believe me, I have done it all!

    Hope that helps - because I just know your bunny would be super cute. Now I want to try one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honestly in awe of the bread bunny. I don't know that I'd want to eat it being that cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bunny is AWESOME.

    I am also not a yeast girl. I eat gluten free as well, so I'm thinking I couldn't even attempt this one at home.

    Maybe it's best left to the professionals...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!