Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Selfish Mother's Day

The other day at a family get together, the subject of Mother's Day came up. My mom and her sisters always take my grandma somewhere for a few days (after Mother's Day)and we started talking about their plans.


Then my cousin asked me what I was doing for my mom for Mother's Day. I looked at my mom, who was sitting next to me, and said "I'm not really sure. What do you want for Mother's Day?" Before my mom could answer, my cousin says "wait, you mean you're not taking her somewhere?" 


My reply: "No, I'm not. I'll be at the beach that day... for MY Mother's Day, Drew is taking me to the beach."


Then the discussion became about me being selfish. My mom didn't say anything. She either just accepted it as "typical ME behavior"... or it bothers her and she didn't want to talk about it.


I'm just confused on how the fact that I, as a MOTHER, wanting to spend MY Mother's Day at the beach is selfish. I have every intention of acknowledging my Mother on that day... after all, she is MY Mom. But I am also someone's mom... 


I know my sister goes through this same dilemma every year too.. her family wants to do something for her, while she's already making plans to do something with our mom.


Is there some unwritten rule that I don't know about on how you're supposed to spend the day? 


My son wants to take me to the beach.
I want to do something for my mom.
My sister & her family want to do something for my mom.
My mom wants to do something with my grandma.


I'll see my mom (and the rest of our crazy family) the day before Mother's Day since we're all doing the Revlon Walk for Breast Cancer in Los Angeles. I intend to bring her a gift then for Mother's Day. Does this make me a bad or selfish daughter? Who knows... 


All I know is that for the last 7 years that I've been a Mom, we've always spent the day with my mom... and this year I want to have Mother's Day my way.


**Completely unrelated.. 
We acquired a new member of the family over the weekend... 


ROCKY
Story to follow in another post.. 

3 comments:

  1. I buy my mother a subscription to "Real Simple" magazine every year. that way she gets to enjoy her gift every month when it comes in the mail. :)

    I will be spending my Mother's day, on my butt, on the couch, eating cup cakes and napping.

    I don't care if it irritates any one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I think once you're a mom its your prerogative how you want to spend mothers day - yes you should acknowledge your mom (as you obviously intend to) but now it's YOUR DAY TOO and I dont think spending saturday with your mom and sunday with your son is selfish whatsoever! Second of all, congrats on the new addition to the family, i can't wait to read the story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't comment the other day because I found this so weird that they would think YOU were selfish, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings. I think it is lovely that you are spending all day long on Saturday during a charity walk, giving her a present - and yes, your sister can do what SHE wants with your Mom, but I think that it is lovely that you want to spend the day with Drew the way you want to.

    Like Julianna said - I am going to be eating cupcakes and napping!

    Don't buy into the guilt. You're doing more then a lot of others do!

    For what it is worth - this is the first Mother's Day since we lost my Mom - and a Saturday walk sounds like the greatest thing ever. She should be happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!