Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm Not 7

Lately I've discovered a problem in our house. 


My kid bugs me.


Ok, so he doesn't bug me (all the time)... but his need for CONSTANT attention is exhausting.. and at times, frustrating. 


I totally understand that he's 7.... all he wants to do is play. All he wants is for every second of his day to be filled with fun. He's a kid.. that's just how they think. 


But the dilemma is that I, how ever young I may be, am not a kid. Not by a long shot. 


Playing video games, basketball, football, or chess online are not on my list of fun things to do. Nope. Not for me. 


This kid would play the Wii all day every day if I let him. I let him stay up Friday night as long as he wanted, and I woke up at midnight and he was still in the living room playing the Wii. I couldn't handle it.. I made him go to bed. The Wii at midnight?? Who does that?


As we speak, this is what he's doing:
Playing the Wii

I feel bad for the kid... I really do. He's an only child.. and will be forever. We don't live in a neighborhood where he can go out and play with other kids. He's pretty much stuck with his mom.

And I can only play so much... I just don't have it in me to PLAY for hours on end. I know, I suck... I'm horrible at this aspect of motherhood... What am I supposed to do??

Not to mention that there are dishes to be done, groceries to put away, a house to clean, a yard to care for, dogs to look after... on and on and on... these things can all wait awhile so we can play a game or two.. but they can't wait another 11 years (though I sure wish they would).

My son is also the only kid I know who flat out REFUSES to entertain himself... unless it's with the Wii or computer. He will not play with his toys alone.. won't go in the backyard to play alone... nothing. This kid won't go into another room if I'm in the sitting or lying position. He literally thinks that if I have time to sit still, I have time to play. 

HELP!!!

What is a mother to do with an only child? 

1 comment:

  1. I had two so they would always have someone to play with. Well, no. not really, but it sounds good right?

    Anyway...

    They hate each other. They fight ALL THE TIME.

    We live in a 1000 sq foot house and yet they each feel the need to sit/stand within the 2 sq. feet that I am occuping at all times.

    Really?
    Really!
    Really.

    I beg them to turn on the TV. Find something to watch. Find something to do. ANY. THING.

    They tell me they want to bug me.

    Great.

    Trust me, my friend... you are SO not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!