Monday, August 9, 2010

My Achey Breaky Heart

This morning my little man started at his new private school. (Technically 2nd grade won't start for him until September, but for daycare purposes he's starting now) This morning was A LOT like his first day of kindergarten. Drew has a VERY hard time with anything new... any type of change... anything even slightly unfamiliar. 


I took him about 30 minutes before school started (during their morning daycare period) so that I could spend some time there with him and he could get a little more familiar with it before I left. The kids were all outside playing so Drew and I sat on a bench and watched... well, I watched, Drew cried. He was nervous and scared.... and seeing my little man afraid just broke my heart and the tears started flowing (thinking about it right now still makes my eyes watery) There was the sweetest little girl ever who came over and introduced herself and tried to talk to Drew and let him know that everything was ok and that this was a fun place (This little girl completely amazed me with her kindness.... her parents should be so proud of her. I'm buying her a small gift today to thank her for making at least me feel a little better) Oh and this girl is only in kindergarten!! But Drew wanted nothing to do with her or anyone else out there. 


The teacher who was out there watching the kids came over to me and let me know that I was welcome to stay as long as I liked... but that it would probably be best for both Drew and myself if I left soon. I just couldn't leave him. It physically hurts my heart to see my son cry.... to know that he is scared... I HATE IT!! A few minutes later the principal came out to talk to us. She is the only staff member Drew has interacted with before this (we've come in to see her twice before today). She asked Drew if he wanted to come inside and help his teacher get things ready for the day. Of course he ignored her, kept crying and clung to my legs. Finally I knew it was time, and I gave my hugs and kisses, reminded him that he was in a fun and safe place, told him I'd be there to pick him up later, and told him I loved him and said good-bye. He kept crying, but the principal led him back inside to the class. 


I cried the entire way to work this morning. I hate this... 


About an hour and half after I dropped him off, the principal called me to let me know he settled down, helped the teacher and now he was just fine. I couldn't help but cry again while I was talking to her.... and was very glad that she called. 


I love my son with every ounce of me... I have complete confidence that he'll adjust well and be happy in his new school.... but this whole beginning phase SUCKS. 


I sure hope tomorrows drop off goes better. And I can't wait to pick him up today... let's just hope I can get through it without crying. 

2 comments:

  1. Bless his little heart...I'll be thinking of you guys and sending prayers up that it gets better soon. Layla starts school in just a few weeks. I'm wondering how she will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh no! I have been an early childhood teacher for years and have seen this situation many times. It is so difficult for all of the parties involved. I especially feel for you. I always contact the parent after a day like that to reassure them that their child will adapt to the change and grow from their experience. I know it hurts you to see your child upset and I hope you realize what a completely amazing parent you are for caring so very much.
    Don't worry things will start to look up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!