Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mommy's Little Chef


Apparently we watch a little TOO much of the Food Network in our house. 


For the last couple months Drew has really been into cooking. He's always been my little baker.. helping me bake cookies, bread, cupcakes and other sweet stuff.... but recently he's decided cooking is more fun than baking. And since I'm really not a fan of cooking, I'm all for it. 


Drew's been planning our dinner menus for the last few weeks and really doing most of the work when it comes to cooking the meals. Oh, and remember.. he's only 6.... 


He's been asking to come up with his own recipes for the last few weeks so I've let him give it a shot. His favorite thing right now is spices. While we were at the grocery store this weekend he went a little crazy and grabbed as many spices and he could carry and threw them in the cart.... he made me laugh because he was so serious about his plan that I couldn't help but give in and buy them all. 


The other day I told him about the hamburger recipe challenge that Red Robin is having for kids right now.... so guess what Drew did last night?

They're called "Homemade Chicken Burgers". It's chicken and ground beef all in one burger. He picked out 3 random spices, seasoned his meat (and the kitchen floor...) and went to work. And since he's a simple kid at heart.. the only other item on the burgers was ketchup (until I cheated and put cheese, may & mustard on mine).

Then he spent another hour after dinner writing his recipe out and his essay for the challenge. After we took this picture he says "Mom, maybe after they see how I can hold the plate with one hand they'll want me to be a waiter too"....
yep, he's a keeper =)

And this weekend my little Chef also officially started swimming with out his floaties.... thanks to a 5 minute lesson with my cousin. I'm so proud of my not-so-little-boy... 



3 comments:

  1. what a little cutie and he looks so proud of his burgers!! i'd eat one! ;) they look tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute with his burgers! Can he teach my husband how to cook? He is such a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for no floaties...and yum! You know me, I'd love to have a little chef in my house. Layla isn't that into cooking yet, but hopefully someday she will be!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!