Friday, September 30, 2011

The Joys of 3rd Grade

I miss 2nd grade.... 
Not my 2nd grade class, but my son's.


I was not a fan of his year spent in 2nd grade... but right about now I'm missing it. 


Homework is harder... spelling tests are not given on Fridays... there are new kids in this class that I don't know... my kid is expected to be RESPONSIBLE. 


Now I'm all for kids being responsible.. especially mine... but as much as I wish he were, Drew is just not the responsible type... he's never really had to be since his mom is super over involved in his life. 


I like the notes that came home in 2nd grade that gave me at least a few days notice before supplies were needed for a project. I miss the daily conversations with his teacher and review of his classwork so that nothing was ever left incomplete. 


Last night after dinner while we were just hanging out, Drew asked if he could use the computer to print some stuff. I said sure and asked what he needs to print.... 


Drew - "I need to print some animal pictures for my diorama."
Mom - "Ummm... what diorama? When are you guys starting those?"
Drew - "Well some kids started there's today, but I need to bring in a shoe box so I can start  mine."
Mom - "Wait a minute... when did you find out about this project and why haven't I heard about it yet?"
Drew - "Well she told us the other day and I was supposed to bring a box today but I forgot to ask for one at Dad's last night."


This kid is SOOO not ready for verbal instructions that he's supposed to remember to relay to his mother!! I need notes send home.. or emails.. or reminders posted on the door at school.


And in case that wasn't enough... on the way to school this morning he blurts out "today is Mrs. Williams' birthday."


How in the world am I supposed to be super-mom and bring the teacher an awesome gift with 3 minutes notice?!?!? 


Responsibility at age 7 is non-existent... 
But he turns 8 in twenty-two days, so maybe there's hope.


And then we have the "situation"... not the Jersey Shore kinda.. butt none the less, a situation.


Drew says his project partner in class is having a situation. 
I guarantee I gave him the most confused look imaginable.. and then I asked for details. 


Apparently this kid keeps finding other peoples's belongings in his desk and backpack. And of course this kid has no idea how these items got there. The teacher doesn't want to come right out and declare the kid a thief... which he obviously is... so she's labeled it as a "situation" that they're dealing with. 


I automatically give Drew a lecture on stealing and how a thief would be dealt with in our house. Drew automatically jumps to the kids defense and says "well Mom, we don't even know that he stole the stuff".... my poor gullible boy... 


So for now I am not a fan of third grade... hopefully it improves.. and soon. Until then I'll continue to scramble for last minute project necessities and label every possession in my kids desk and backpack. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, honey. Mine are in 4 & 5th grade. That project that they had 3 weeks ago, that's due on Monday, that I found out on Sunday night...

    ...yeah. Those are good times.

    OH... and let's not forget the SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL who still can't remember to write down his home work assignments.

    *sigh*

    I'm blaming the male DNA for all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!