Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Idea of Happy is Way Different Than Yours

What do you want in life?
What do you want out of life?


Other than a happy and healthy son, I couldn't really care less. 
Oh wait, except I do want a house on the beach. 


My family is always asking me about my plans for the future.. and what I want in life. This seems to me the kind of thing you ask a kid that's getting ready to graduate high school... not a 29 year old mother who's been living a happy and healthy, very fulfilled life for the last 8 years.


They ask me these things because I don't live their idea of a normal... traditional life. 


Here are the facts that disturb them:


-I'm 29 and single. Completely single.. no, I do not date. At All.


-My idea of going out is a trip to Target or Ikea... there are no bars or clubs in my life.


-Cooking & cleaning are things I dread... apparently you're supposed to love it if you're a mom.


-I genuinely enjoy my time ALONE.


-My practically 8 year old still sleeps in my bed.


-My wardrobe consists of 72 tank tops... dressing up is NOT my thing at all. 


-When Drew's not home, I will go an entire weekend without talking to a single person. I am not a fan of people.. what can I say?


-I don't have the slightest career ambition. Zero desire to be employed in any way shape or form..... however, I am realistic and a mom, so I do work a full 40 hours every week.


-I have very few friends. Friends require time & energy that I don't have.. and when I do, I'd just rather spend it alone.


When I tell people that I am happy... truly happy with my life, most don't believe me. They can't begin to imagine how that's even remotely possible since I'm not sharing it with anyone.... except Drew. I hate this... I am sharing my life with the absolute most important person in the world to me... and people can't see how that makes me happy. 


I adore my son. I love him more that he'll ever know. And yes, he makes me happy... Every.Single.Day.


And while my choices in life make others question my sanity.... I have to admit, I often question the life choices of every person I know.


For me, the idea of putting on dress clothes 5 days a week to go to work is insane. Skipping my son's awards program at school because I have a meeting at the office or an out of town business trip are things I will NEVER do. 


Let's not even talk about dating.... People bug me. I interact with them when and how I feel like it... that's as close to "dating" as I ever plan to get. If you want your thoughts, feeling and opinions to be taking into consideration by me.... it's never gonna happen, unless you're Drew.


How in the world are so many of you people in relationships... or even married?!?!? Compromise, commitment, expectations, sharing, and obligation are things that will never make sense to me. If someone wants to spend time with me, I want them to do it because they genuinely want to... not because we live together and they feel obligated to come home. I don't want someone to assume or expect that I will attend a wedding with them simply because they've given me the title of "girlfriend". I will always be a CHOICE... not an obligation.


Everyone has their own version of happy. Different things make different people tick. People's wants are different... as well as their needs. 


My life may be different than yours... but it's mine and I'm HAPPY. 


Your life sure is different than mine... and doesn't make sense to me... but if you're TRULY happy... then I am happy for you. 


Maybe one day my family will see it that way too. Maybe.... 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you are so happy being just you and Drew, yet you reach out in the blog o sphere for "invisible" friends.

    As for your choices, I am so proud of you. It's what works for you and that's what matters. Don't let anyone, ever, convince you that it's not right or normal.

    It's you.

    And that's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!