Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Great Remodel of 2010 Continues.. in 2011

Back in April 2010, the remodel of my house began. 


(work being done by my landlord (AKA- my grandpa) and my uncle who does the work in his spare time... if he has any)


I asked for wood floors in my living room and dining room. 


What I got was an ENTIRE house remodel. Every single room, every single wall, floor and window. 


While I appreciate all the nice new stuff.. and how great my house looks now... the problem is, it's still not done. 


My room, the living room, dining room, hall and bathroom have been done. Only took a year to get those done.... 


But now they have officially moved on to the end (I HOPE) of the project. 
Drew's room.... the kitchen and the laundry room. Oh, and last minute they decided to rip down the fence in my backyard and build a new one, and add a slab of concrete for the storage shed they think I need (ummm, yes, I do have a lot of crap Grandpa, thanks for noticing!)


This part of the project has actually gone along pretty quickly over the last two weeks... until this weekend. My uncle was there both Saturday and Sunday working on Drew's room. Walls have come down, flooring has been ripped out and drywall is everywhere.
And while my uncle was working away inside... my cousin was outside in my grandparent's backyard (just on the other side of my back yard) putting in ANOTHER bathroom. Yep, a bathroom in the backyard... (of my grandparents house, not mine.) This was all fine and dandy and didn't concern me one bit, until they mentioned that they were connecting it to MY plumbing (but they pay my water bill so what do I care?) Oh, and there was a problem with one of the pipes so they wanted to replace the whole line.... That runs under Drew's room and my kitchen.

We are SOOO lucky that they were working on both projects at once because my cousin had to come in with a freakin' jack-hammer and dig a huge hole through the width of Drew's room and right down the middle of my ENTIRE kitchen.
Horrible lighting, but that's the whole in the floor
of Drew's room looking in from my kitchen.

And I know you can't really see it here, but this 
is my tiny kitchen with a massive hole in it.. and tarps
covering my countertops.

To say that it was a LOUD, filthy and eventful weekend is a huge understatement. 


I am not looking forward to cleaning up after this mess. The plan is to finish Drew's room completely before working on the kitchen. So they will be putting down a temporary floor until they're ready... at which time I will need to empty my kitchen completely in order to clean all the DUST and debris that has worked its way into my cabinets and every dish I own. 


Fun times!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no... no,no,no,no.

    The OCD in me is crying for you. :(

    I have the ongoing demo of the boys room downstairs, but I have done it in stages so it doesn't freak me out. I can't even imagine an entire house.

    My eyes are itching from here from the dust.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!