Friday, February 11, 2011

Since When Do Camels Wear Bras??

Part of Drew's nightly homework is to read for 20 minutes. Usually it's no big deal. He'll grab whatever chapter book he's in the middle of and just pick up where he left off. Last night he decided he wanted to read a few poems from "A Light In The Attic." So he's sitting next to me in bed, reading each poem aloud to me while I'm on the laptop searching Ebay.


All was going well... until I hear my son say "They've put a brassiere on a camel, so that her humps wouldn't show."


I turned my head so fast towards him that I hurt my neck. I'm thinking "WTF are you reading??", so I asked "what did you just say?" and Drew repeats himself, then points to the words in the book. I looked at the words then glanced to the picture on the next page and started cracking up.
My 7 year old son was reading about a camel with a BRA on!! What the heck was Shel Silverstein thinking when he wrote this poem??




They've Put A Brassiere On A Camel    -Shel Silverstein

They've put a brassiere on a camel,
She wasn't dressed proper, you know.
They've put a brassiere on a camel,
So that her humps wouldn't show.
And they're making other respectable plans,
They're even even insisting the pigs should wear pants,
They'll dress up the ducks if we give them the chance
Since they've put a brassiere on a camel.
They've put a brassiere on a camel,
They claim she's more decent that way.
They've put a brassiere on a camel,
The camel had nothing to say.
They squeezed her into it, i'll never know how,
They say that she looks more respectable now,
Lord knows what they've got in mind for the cow,
Since they've put a brassiere on a camel.




Needless to say there was a lot of laughter and very little reading taking place after this.... 

Thanks a lot Mr. Silverstein.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta' love Mr. Silverstein. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooove Shel Silverstein! oh my goodness! I dont know remember that one! Thanks for the warning though...I wouldnt want to open that page to my kindergarten class! HAHAHA! It is pretty darn hysterical though isnt it?! SOooo cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!