Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Life Isn't Fair... when it comes to cookies

Last night Drew and I were laying in bed... in MY bed.. in MY room.. which is apparently OUR bed. Anyway.. he had just come in from brushing his teeth and it was officially time for sleep (8:00pm) for both of us. 


But my sweet tooth kicked in.... and I was shockingly surprised that we had made it into bed without Drew even mentioning dessert.. so I opened my big fat mouth and said "hey, we didn't even have dessert" (Dessert is pretty much mandatory in our house)... BIG MISTAKE!


Drew says "oh ya... Mom, why didn't you remind me? Go get us some ice cream." I immediate give him my WTF look and say "excuse me, but first off all, don't TELL me to do something.. EVER.. you ask nicely. And second, it's too late, we're already in bed, and you already brushed your teeth."  but I didn't stop there.. my sweet tooth was going strong at this point... so I said "but I didn't brush my teeth yet.. so I get to have some cookies!" Now Drew gives me his little WTF look and says "hey, no way! that's not fair. If you get to have some than so do I." I proceed to explain to him that life is not fair.. like how I have to go to work and he doesn't... when the bill comes for the car payment, I have to pay it and he doesn't.


Drew wasn't having any of my logic... he didn't want to hear it. "Mom, I'm your kid.. your SON.. and you have to be fair with me. It's your job. And you're supposed to be teaching me to be fair. How am I ever going to learn to be fair if I see you eating cookies and I can't have any?" 


His 7 year old debating skills had me laughing.


Through my laughter I explained to him that his speech just convinced me that he already fully understood what being fair meant... so nice try!! But I knew that if I brought even a single cookie back into that room while he was awake, I was doomed... to have to share.


So I did what any other cookie loving Mama would do.... 
I waited till he was asleep and grabbed a handful of cookies.. and ate them right next to him while he slept.


Fair is fair. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha!

    You are so nice to share your bed too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is too funny. Sounds like he is on his way to seme great debate skills, not that they're doing any good with you hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!