Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More Reasons Why Drew's Teacher Hates Me

I couldn't care less about what goes on in OTHER classrooms. 
But when it comes to MY son's class, I care.... A LOT.


About a month or two ago, I had a meeting to voice my concerns with Drew's teacher. 
I let her know that when my 7 year old complains about the noise levels and constant disruption by his classmates, then we have a problem. She informed me of her how she "handles" this behavior.. basically she doesn't. She had a list of reasons, one of which: " kids will be kids.. they're still learning". By the end of the meeting she agreed to make some adjustments to correct this problem. So far Drew says things have gotten better. 


Then this week we encountered a couple more issues. 


At the end of January the kids were sent home with information about their up coming science projects. The proposed project outline was due a week later. The actual project wasn't going to be due until March 17th. A month and half worth of time to complete a science project. 


On Monday of this week when I went to pick up Drew, his teacher mentioned that they would have very little homework this week due to Thursday being the due date for science projects. This immediately irritated me... but I decided to wait and discuss it with her at our next meeting.
But later that night over dinner the discussion came up between Drew and I. He asked me why they had so little homework just because of science projects. He said "does she think people really waited till this last week to work on their projects? That would be crazy." I told Drew I completely agreed with him, but that yes, she must have assumed most kids wouldn't have started working on them earlier and would need time this week to get them done. 


Drew also mentioned that night how he hates that when some kids don't bring in certain things their asked to for a project, that the rest of the class has to miss out on doing it until everyone brings their stuff in. I again told him that I agreed with him and felt it was unfair to the students who paid attention and did what they were asked. I reminded him of the time a couple weeks ago where we didn't bring in a shoe box like we were supposed to. I would have hated for Drew to miss out on the project, but I would have completely understood that it was our own fault. 


Yesterday when I picked Drew up, Drew asked her about a project that they again failed to do. She told him to just leave his supplies in his desk and they would get to it when they could. I was irritated once again so I decided the conversation couldn't wait. I handed Drew his basketball clothes so he could go change while we talked. 


I explained to her my feelings about their project delays. Her response: "well life happens, and we need to just learn to accommodate others. Some times things come up and these kids shouldn't be penalized for it." So I said, "oh ok, so you prefer to penalize the children that did what they were asked? I don't understand that one bit." I also mentioned my issue with the lack of homework this week. This time she says: "well honestly, you're right. However not every parent handles their child's homework the way you do. I would hate to see Thursday come and have very few projects turned in."


I let her know that due to the time restraint of having to get Drew to his game, I couldn't finish our conversation right then, but that I was looking forward to our next meeting. 


I really don't know what to do about all this anymore. For a ton of reasons we're practically stuck at this school. It's an independent private school.. and to make matters worse, his teacher is also the principal there. 


My desire to home-school Drew grows every day... I just wish the number in my bank account grew right along with it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!!