Thursday, April 29, 2010

How I Remember It...

My mom was a single mother from the time I was a baby.. 
She raised my sister and I on her own...
with occasional help from family... 

We were raised to be independent from day one...
This was done both intentionally.. and at times, out of selfishness... 

My mother and I are very different women.. 
we are VERY different mothers... in practically every way.. 

But some of the things I remember, make me think about the things that one day Drew will look back on and remember.... 
Today, I want to talk about the GOOD things.. 

-Pancakes... and not just on weekend mornings... to this day, the smell of pancakes reminds me of my mom. 

-Being tucked into bed and night like a "burrito".. Mom made sure all the blankets were tucked in around me tightly and I could barely move.. and loved it. 

-Trips to Molles Manor... we lived an hour and a half away from ALL of our family, but Mom took us down to Grandma's practically every other weekend.. and every single holiday.. 

-Wal-mart.. that's where mom worked, so that place became our second home. To this day my sister and I have a loyalty to Wal-mart.

-Gingerbread cookies at Christmas time... frosting them was always my favorite part.


Drew and I have a few things... things I know I'll remember forever.. but I wonder what he'll remember, what he'll look back on and smile about.... 

Every day is another chance to create more memories.... 

3 comments:

  1. It is so special to look back at the memories of our childhood isn't it? I agree there are some things I do the same as my parents and others I do very differently. Life seems so much more exciting when we realize even the smallest moments are a memory to our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet and touching post. I hope I am making lifetime memories with my children that they will be able to look back and smile about:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!